Research Assistant, Hong Kong 2050 Is Now Green Building Project
Research Assistant (1-year contract, renewable)
Green Building Project under Hong Kong 2050 Is Now Platform
Hong Kong 2050 Us Now Background
Civic Exchange, World Resources Institute (WRI) and ADM Capital Foundation are teaming up to undertake a non-government, independent initiative called “Hong Kong 2050 Is Now”. The initiative seeks to inspire ambition and mobilize action to move Hong Kong through a cross-sectoral transition towards long term carbon neutrality and set an example for how the city could mitigate the risks of climate change. There is no time for complacency; the initiative will push the government to consider its 2050 goals now while formulating and implementing short- and medium-term policies, including the Climate Action Plan 2030+. This initiative will factor in the broader context of the policy and implementation trends in Mainland China, suggest appropriate linkages; and where possible, propose transformative action in Hong Kong to inspire more ambition among the cities in Mainland China, which currently have relatively conservative emissions peaking targets.
Hong Kong is a unique built environment of high-rise, high density urban areas, where activities in building accounting for over 90% of electricity consumption or 60% of greenhouse gas emissions. A recent published paper ‘Pathways to net zero carbon emission by 2050” under the banner of Hong Kong 2050 is Now highlighted the buildings sector in Hong Kong will need to remove 10.6 million tons of carbon emission between now to 2050 as part of the Hong Kong net zero target setting recommendation. Of the 42,000+ buildings in the private sector, less than 1% of existing buildings have applied for green building certificates. Since 2014, the annual percentage of private sector projects joining BEAM Plus has reached nearly 50%. There is still more than 50% headroom for new buildings to go green.
Green and Sustainable buildings must be a key priority in order to achieve maximum energy saving, as well as for Hong Kong to contribute to China’s Nationally Determined Contributions (NCD) of achieving carbon reduction of more than 65% by 2030.
Therefore, with the initiative of the Hong Kong 2050 is Now program, Civic Exchange propose to set up Green Building Project with a multi-year and multi-pronged action to tackle this urgent issue.
Roles and responsibilities of the position
Researcher to support the Green Building Project Study
- Conducting desktop research on both local (Hong Kong and GBA) and international building policies and incentives in relation to carbon emission, focusing on building codes, legislations, tax, energy audit, disclosure, etc.
- Developing interview and survey guides, and performing data collection and analysis for policy gaps
- Engaging stakeholders to identify their incentives and barriers for greening buildings in Hong Kong and GBA
- Assisting in developing policy recommendations for Hong Kong and the GBA buildings industry to decarbonised
- Performing associated administrative duties such as to liaise with key stakeholders, arrange interviews, organise and transcribe data
Requirements of the candidate
- Bachelor’s degree, such as Environmental Science, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical, Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related disciplines. Fresh graduates are welcome
- Experience in conducting interviews and carrying out qualitative research is necessary; Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop partnerships are a must
- Fluent in Cantonese, Mandarin and English in both writing and verbal communications. Other foreign language skills is an advantage
- Strong passion for environmental science research
- Clear and concise writing skills
- Team player who can be assertive to achieve results, hard-working and self-motivated
- Full resume with current and expected salary
- Two relevant writing samples
- Details of two people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your express permission. Please note that reference checks may be conducted prior to face-to-face interviews.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified. All personal data collected will be treated with strict confidence and used for recruitment purpose only. Civic Exchange is an equal opportunities employer.