Research Assistant, Hong Kong 2050 Is Now Project, Power Sector Deep Decarbonization Roadmaps Project
Established in 2000, Civic Exchange is an independent, Hong Kong-based think and do tank that conducts research in air quality, nature conservation and our urban environment with the objective of advancing civic education and engaging society to help shape public policy.
Hong Kong does not have a roadmap for realizing zero carbon power (or even near-zero carbon). Building on the broad economy-wide deep decarbonization roadmap developed in 2019, we will continue to turn the 2019 findings into action. In 2020, we will define concrete pathways and implementation roadmaps for deep decarbonizing Hong Kong’ electricity and gas supply. We will work with the government, power companies, NGOs, and other stakeholders to identify options and analyze the cost and benefit of each option. The ultimate goal is to drive ambition and action to decarbonizing the electricity grid. To create this change, we will align other partners in the “Hong Kong 2050 Is Now” platform to communicate and work towards bringing these changes into reality through their interactions with the government, businesses, and the broader society. As such, the project study comprises of two complementing project activities: 1) developing power sector deep decarbonization roadmaps; and 2) engaging with stakeholders for actions.
Roles and responsibilities of the position
Research on Developing Power Sector Deep Decarbonization Roadmaps
- Conducting desktop and primary research, on local and overseas decarbonization roadmaps study case studies
- Analyzing the domestic and international hydrogen power markets and provides recommendations on how to ensure these options are considered in policymaking
- Assisting in developing policy recommendations for enhancing current energy policy frameworks and changes needed to enable the use of different large-scale zero carbon electricity sources by Hong Kong
- Local and international stakeholder outreach
- Assisting in developing semi-structured and structured interview guides, conducting interviews, and performing qualitative analysis of interview data
- Performing various administrative duties to recruit and liaise with stakeholders, arrange interviews, organise and transcribe collected data, and other tasks as assigned by the Principal Investigator
Requirements of the candidate
- Bachelor’s degree, such as Environmental Science, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical, Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related disciplines. Fresh graduates are welcome. Holder of a Master’s degree is a plus
- Experience in conducting interviews and carrying out qualitative research is necessary; Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop partnerships are a must
- Fluent in Cantonese, Mandarin and English in both writing and verbal communications. Other foreign language skills is an advantage
- Strong passion for environmental science research
- Clear and concise writing skills
- Team player who can be assertive to achieve results, hard-working and self-motivated
- Full resume with current and expected salary
- Two relevant writing samples
- Details of two people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your express permission. Please note that reference checks may be conducted prior to face-to-face interviews.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified. All personal data collected will be treated with strict confidence and used for recruitment purpose only. Civic Exchange is an equal opportunities employer.