Civic Exchange Research Analyst
Research Analyst (1-year contract, renewable)
Civic Exchange is seeking a high calibre candidate to join the team.
The position will be responsible for coordinating the “HK2050 is now” project, a newly launched cross-sectoral initiative to advocate carbon neutrality and set an example for how the city could mitigate the risks of climate change.
As the world “races to net zero” carbon emissions, Hong Kong (HK) and Mainland China are stepping up their commitments to decarbonize, limiting global temperature rise to no more than 1.5˚C above pre-industrial levels as per the Paris Agreement. While HK has made commitments to decarbonise by 2050, Mainland China has set 2060 as its target.
It has become clear that carbon neutrality is essential to mitigating the potentially catastrophic effects of a warming planet. It is also clear that without significant government and finance action, HK and the Greater Bay Area (GBA) will fall far short of its immense potential. From HK there is significant potential to lead regional change. HK is a key finance hub and the main gateway into Mainland China, the world’s largest CO2 emitter, but its green finance market remains in its infancy and is far from its full potential to support China’s requirement for US$26 trillion to align with the Paris Agreement.
There is considerable divergence over what is regarded credible contribution to a lower emissions transition trajectory. As transition is still a nascent concept in the financial sector, the market is in the process of developing more granular criteria about the eligibility of different types of activities. If we can build greater understanding on credible investments into the decarbonisation of high-carbon activities, it will help HK attract investors, issuers, and financial market participants from different segments of the APAC economy, and eventually influence the Greater Bay Area and Belt and Road
In an alliance convened by the ADM Capital Foundation (ADMCF) based in Hong Kong, China Water Risk (CWR), the Hong Kong Green Finance Association (HKGFA) and HK2050isNow (an initiative of local think tank, Civic Exchange) will push HK’s finance sector to accelerate transition through targeted research informing capacity building and engagement aimed at publicly listed companies, banks, institutional investors, governments, regulators and civil society to help push transition. The implementing organisations, which regularly collaborate and share offices, which facilitates further, have the ability to reach into each of the identified sectors to push change collectively and separately.
Roles and responsibilities:
Research on Leveraging regional developments and comparison of taxonomies to aid Hong Kong as a transition finance regional hub
- Conducting desktop and primary research on the commonalities of existing regional transition taxonomies
- Analyzing the role of Hong Kong and the GBA in green and transition finance moving forwards
- Identify and examine the critical issue and challenges regarding transition finance taxonomy that different financial market participants in HK face
- Synthesising the key regulatory and market developments in green and transition finance in Hong Kong and the GBA
- Assisting in developing knowledge on how best to move the conversation forward and feeding into the GBA research and HKGFA working group
- Assisting in developing semi-structured and structured interview guides, conducting interviews, and performing qualitative analysis of interview data
- Performing various administrative duties to recruit and liaise with stakeholders, arrange interviews, organise and transcribe collected data, and other tasks as assigned by the Principal Investigator
- Bachelor degree in environment, social science other related discipline
- 1-2 year work experience in relevant fields (Fresh graduates with high potential will be considered)
- Experience in conducting interviews and carrying out qualitative research is necessary; Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop partnerships are a must
- Fluent in Cantonese, Mandarin and English in both writing and verbal communications. Other foreign language skills is an advantage
- Strong passion for environmental science or green and sustainable finance research
- Basic understanding of financial markets and instruments would be a plus.
- Clear and concise writing skills
- Team player who can be assertive to achieve results, hard-working, open minded and self-motivated
We offer competitive package and great exposure to the right candidate. The contract will last for a year with possibility of renewal.
Interested candidates please send CV, cover letter and relevant writing samples to [email protected]. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified. All personal data collected will be treated with strict confidence and used for recruitment purposes only. Civic Exchange is an equal opportunities employer. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview.